Friday, 22 March 2013

Maclaughlin Meat Works


The Maclaughlin Meatworks which was built in 1938 is located at 484.958km approximately 10.5 rail kilometres south of Nimmitabel. On Tuesday 2 May 1939 a loop siding, with 78 metres (255 feet in the clear) was opened for use (WN18/1939). The siding located on the down side of the line was accessed by points at either end, release by a key on the Nimmitabel – Bombala staff.
Located beside the original Nimmitabel – Bombala road and literally in the middle of no-where, the meat works were constructed of concrete with a corrugated iron roof the structure contained a killing floor, refrigeration floor and offal handling floor and primarily was used to kill, cattle, sheep and pigs. At its peak it employed 90 people.
The first indication of the loop siding is a working sketch dated 20 January 1939 detailing the layout with two lever frames at each end of the loop. The meat works commenced operation around the time the siding was opened. The siding cost 1,510 pounds to install.
The first year (by June 1940) had seen 1,456 cattle, 10,156 sheep 1,563 lambs, 449 pigs and 211 calves killed. Despite the good start a year later (on 12 August 1941) an auditors report quoted a loss of 24,008 pounds since May 1939. A year later it was all over brought about by the first hot summer when the refrigeration failed and all the meat was lost. The works were closed to install a new roof and additional insulation. This on top of the intermittent water supply from the Mclaughlin River and the resulting need to pump water for the town weir and industrial troubles.
It is believed that the works never reopened after the 1942 closure and the end came in 1951 by which time the works owed approximately 120,000 pounds. On Friday 18 May 1951 the Cooma Monaro Express had a article titled ‘White Elephant Being Dismantled’ detailed the commencement of the removal of the equipment and the sale of the buildings.
On 26 April 9141 a platform was provided – the working sketch indicates this was on the Up side of the line opposite the meatworks, there is a small flat area at that location indicating this to be more than likely the case.
A working sketch with a note and dated 15 January 1957 indicates that the siding and points will be maintained by the railways but paid for by the company.
On 17 July 1962 as detail in WN29/1092 the points to the siding were spiked and secured by an XL lock with note that the siding will be out of use until further advised.
WN23/1963 detailed that the lead of the conection to the siding was removed on 30 May 1963 and John Forsyth’s notes indicate that the points and sidings were removed on 19 April 1973.
All of the below pictures were taken on 19 September 2003.


The bridge over the Old Bombala Road just to the
north of the meat works.
The bridge over the Old Bombala Road just to the
north of the meat works.
A view of the meat works from the north or Up
side, the road in the foreground is the Old
Bombala Road.
 closer view from the north side.
A large culvert located between the Old Bombala
Road bridge and the meat works. This creek
is un-named.
Looking in the Down direction along the meat
works loading dock. The loop siding was
between the dock and the surviving main line.
Looking up while standing on the loading dock.
This and the next shots are of the power plant
that supplied the steam etc to the meat works.



Looking in the Up direction from the 'balcony'
above the loading dock.
The top or killing floor of the works. Large stock
went in via the big door while sheep and pigs
went in via the small opening to the right.
Note the lobsided nature of the building.
The Down side of the building.
This and the following shots are of the interior of
the top floor.


The stairs to the lower floors
The 'offices' on a 'half floor above the 'killing floor' level.
The sheep and pig entrance from the inside.
The manager's quarters located approximately
40 metres up the hill from the works.
A surviving water tank located above the works,
near the manager's quarters.
A drainage canal above the meat works.


The north (Up) side of the building.
Detail of the north side of the building.
Detail of the north side of the building.
Detail of the north side of the building.
Detail of the north side of the building.
The refrigeration floor.
The south (Down) side of the building.
The south (Down) side of the building.
The south (Down) side of the building.
The south (Down) side of the building.
The south (Down) side of the building.
A culvert on the south side of the building.
he front of the building.
The front of the building - again note the lobsided
nature of the structure.
The front of the building.
Looking along the line from the Down side.
Looking along the line from the Up side
An overbridge on the Old Bombala Road near the works.
An overbridge on the Old Bombala Road near the works.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots, thankyou so much for sharing, just brilliant. Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. So using this place for my short film

    ReplyDelete